Sunday, October 10, 2010

N.A.G.S @ you

Greetings to all!
Its me again.
As the tittle suggests .
I'm gonna N.A.G.S at you .
Ignore my grammer error! (笑)
Alrights.

Actually its not about nagging
But all about arts.
Thus.
Heavy photo content.

What's N.A.G.S. ?
Thanks to omy.sg ,
I was invited to the official launch for
National Art Gallery Singapore .


Where's N.A.G.S. ?
Located at the former supreme court
Which is a 10-15 mins walk from
Cityhall mrt station.



I thought I was late ,
Cause I was told that we are suppose to reach at 2pm sharp.
But 2pm I was still inside cityhall mrt station
Since its a very arty type of event ,
& in order to fit in ,
I editted this set of pictures
When a tint of cinema feel .
Like it ?






Disastrous fringe sucks.

The weather was dam humid .
Thank goodness they served us wif
Chilled fruitpunch!





I LOVE MUSEUMS !




Anyways,
I brought along alex to the event .
whom I was texting wif I RSVP the event .


My friend here ,
reading the booklet they gave us .


All media and bloggers were given this booklet to understand more !

The event started with opening speech
(Like obviously)
& prize presentation for some contest the authories organised months ago.

I didn't really pay attention
But I really like one of the pieces
Named reflections







Officially Launched !

Then we headed out for a photo taking session !




Walking to the City Hall building ,


Still walking ...




You see !
The photographers were across the road
To take pictures .
Have to challenge the vehicles
& everyone's strength .


Cause they have to raise the red frames.



Anyways .
I was really happy cause
I think I'm gonna be part of history
Cause I took photo with minister
+ a lot of people in front of the
Cityhall building !
At first I was wondering why are there so many 老人家
And they actually are people who used to work in the building itself or something like that.
Photographers etc!
I've never taken photos with like so many people lor !

The weather got worst,
It started to drizzle with the bright sun,

Photo Credits : dead-cockroach.xanga.com


Naise right ?


We continued with the guided tour .
I was always interested in getting in to see the place and everything
But honestly ,
How many people of our age can actually get to explore the place?
Don't include those old people who went in during its operating days .

To my surprise ,
There's pretty much cool things in the building itself!
*totally amazed*
Something different from the past is that they installed aircon lahs .
But I think the rest is much of the same .




The one in PINK is our guide !


Mounted on the wall when we go up the stairways .


At second level ,
Where all the court rooms are located !


Abit on the history of the building .
Its builded in the 1900s .
Like a century ago lehs!
And somehow it was still undergoing construction during The Great Depression period!
Wayyyyyy before the japanese occupation!
Thank goodness they didn't tear / damage the building .
If not I wouldn't have the chance to explore it .

I totally love the victoria-style building
So like ,
Er ..
Old school?



And ofcourse its built before the thing called air conditional was invented .
So its oh-my-totally-crazy-hot lor !
So I'm quite amazed by the people who go and hear those evicts?
Whatever its called ! :)

Court of appeal .


Apparently ,
All court rooms we visited has this stairways.
Will explain in a while !



The ceilings.



The stairways are leading to the prison cells underneath ,
And like totally no communication with the family type.
Before lawsuit come out ,
After lawsuit go back to the cell
Cool right?
Wanna escape also quite difficult .





The audience's seats.


this is what they are planning to turn it into .

Walking to court room 1.



Court Room No. 1.


Behind the white colored part of the picture
Is the Chief Justice's Chamber.
Which means thats where the judge go to after the case is over
Or where they come from lahs !



See the stairs again !






Chief Justice's Chamber.




Okay ,
this is behind the white colored part lor !
:D

Where the Chief Justice enter to the Court Room .





In the chamber ,
There's a toilet,
& a personal lift for the chief to leave
Which actually will leads to his personal car ,
& then he can run !
How awesome .



You know my obsession!

Then someone ask me .
"toilet you also wanna take ar? "
And I replied
" I like toilets"

And the guide heard me ,
And said

" Oh, you like toilets?"

All of us laughed .
FML!






Do you know ,
The furnitures in the court rooms are part of the building?

Okay.
It means right ,
The furniture cannot be removed.
Its part of the design and construction of the building .

Another very cool thing about the building is that ,
There's ventilation built in the furnitures!
How smart can they be?
At first I cannt see ,
So thought that the tour guide was like kidding us or something.
I mean you got see people's shop or building got ventilation from furniture in the past before?


Dont believe right ?
Never mind ,
I will show you
& convince you .






Well ,
As I mention ,
this building was under construction still ,
During the great depression .
& then at that time
WHERE GOT PEOPLE GOT MONEY TO DO NICE NICE FOR THE FLOOR !
So they chose tiles made of rubber and design and whatevery
Which make it look classy & practical .


For those who dk what's The Great Depression ,
I've googled for you .
According to wikipedia :

Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression in the decade preceding World War II. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations, but in most countries it started in about 1929 and lasted until the late 1930s or early 1940s.[1] It was the longest, most widespread, and deepest depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.[2] The depression originated in the U.S., starting with the fall in stock prices that began around September 4, 1929 and became worldwide news with the stock market crash of October 29, 1929 (known as Black Tuesday). From there, it quickly spread to almost every country in the world.[1]

The Great Depression had devastating effects in virtually every country, rich and poor. Personal income, tax revenue, profits and prices dropped. while international trade plunged by ½ to ⅔. Unemployment in the U.S. rose to 25%, and in some countries rose as high as 33%.[3] Cities all around the world were hit hard, especially those dependent on heavy industry. Construction was virtually halted in many countries. Farming and rural areas suffered as crop prices fell by approximately 60%.[4][5][6] Facing plummeting demand with few alternate sources of jobs, areas dependent on primary sector industries such as cash cropping, mining and logging suffered the most.[7]

Some economies started to recover by the mid-1930s. However, in many countries the negative effects of the Great Depression lasted until the start of World War II.[8]





Walking over to Rotundal Library .


Nice right !



See this is what I meant for the ventilation-for-furniture !
At first I didnt believe ,
& then out of curiousity ,
I go and put my hand on top of the hole
& there's cool breeze !

Actually underneath the tables also have
But i didnt want to crawl underneath them to snap !

It was really used to be a library
But the books and stuff overflowed ,
& they shifted somewhere else ,






TELEVISIONS ,
Reason :
After the library was shifted to another place,
This place served as a police post for a period of time




Another ventilation picture !
Super cooling I tell you.
Physics !
HOT AIR SINKS ,
COLD AIR RAISES .


Time for reminscening some old school .







The next and last stop
To the Balcony !







Cannot waste good lighting !



The balcony.
Padang and everything .
Maybe it doesn't really look nice in the day.
But I think quite nice alr ,

Do you know,
The lady of justice in singapore's supreme court is not blindfolded?

Even the tour guide doesn't know why!
He said that no one knows why.
So maybe someone can google and let us know!




VCH <3 onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhDyJzrhr9t0Q-jdavN0X6eBUoRr8C8MusTjY3JZgLMQAHWLfF3B7Xe4v5MQ_7fMm3PZeshA3-FSvETl3I0QslvYJlHhknxnV_d0na0RZiW_1U_3LUXp8W-QYQ5tLfkRHrkeYnH/s1600/P1010640.JPG">

Love the windows.

I was too short so no matter how I zoom ,
Still cannot see her.
So I take the picture .






Looking down to the first level .





Alrights ,
& this marks our precious guided tour !
:{


Me & HongPeng
Read his blog here

Me & Mint !
Her bloggie here !

Then we left for bar chor mee .


Good lighting lah .
Throughout the whole guided tour ,
I was really hoping to view the prison cells underneath the court rooms.

I mean like
People never see before ma!

Anyways it was really a great eye-opener !
Can't wait for it to revamp
And visit all over again!


Sadly this place is going to be closed for renovations ,
& to be fully doned up by 2013 .
Although they say its the official launch .
Actually its more like an open house .

Dont sad dont sad .
Dont miss your chance to go
Cause they extended the Building tour ,
However its self-guided !

Admission is free bytheway .
Fret not ,
They have selg guide brochures for you
That can be found in the museums.

Date : 16, 17 Oct 2010
Time : 10am to 6pm
Address :

Old Supreme Court (High Court) Singapore

1 Saint Andrew's Road, Singapore 178957
Darlings ,
Dont miss it !


(Just take train to CityHall mrt & ask for directions)

Website : http://nationalartgallery.sg/home.html





Thats the end of my fruitful trip to NAGS !
Thanks for reading !

Bye-bi !

/love Click on my Nuffnang ads oh.
Arigato ! (∩_∩)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails